First off, I truly feel for you if you are reading this and just found out your little one has Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. I just want to encourage you to stay strong, rest when your kiddos rest, and love on them as much as possible. I know its hard to see them go through the pain but I promise you that it doesn’t last forever.
We used these tips to help with the comfort and to kill the bacteria as soon as possible, I hope this helps those of you looking for a more natural approach. And I pray these work for y’all like they did our family.
Tip # 1: Relieve the first part which are those icky fevers. First remember that fevers are actually good for your body. They occur to help the body fight off the infection causing it. You don’t want to give your child a fever reducer as this will just suppress the body at work. (Now I am not a Dr and I am not saying that you never want to, there are times that a fever reducer can be necessary. I would encourage you to do your own research on when that is). What we do to relieve a fever is a series of things.
- Try and give the child a small glass of Himalayan Salt mixed with water,honey, and lemon, this will help them retain the water, replace electrolytes and get hydrated.
- Luke warm baths Often ( Note: you must be careful of the temperature you do not want the bath to be to cold because this will increase the bodies temperature because its trying to warm the body up. You want to make sure its warm enough that they do not have goose bumps and they are comfortable.)
- Cool Washcloths and a Fan
Tip# 2: When giving the Luke warm baths you want to add these 3 important things.
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt to the bath. Epsom salt is known for so many things but for this specifically heals inflammation & flushes toxins
- Add 5-10 drops of 100% pure lavender oil to the bath (I suggest Young Living since they are guaranteed pure- Keep in mind Grocery store oils are NOT pure) If you are part of Young Living, you want to also add Gentle Baby. These oils will help soothe the sores on your baby, and relax them. (If your interested in learning more about Young Living click this link for more)
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. It contains the much needed acidity and antiseptic quality to fight the bacteria so this helps heal the sores quickly.
Tip # 3: Once the sores are visible take Tea Tree Essential Oil diluted (Again PURE is important) and dab each sore with the oil. If they have sores on their diaper area do not do this with those sores use a diluted mixture of Lavender and Gentle Baby with Coconut Oil on that area.
Tip # 4: After the sores have dried up from the Tea Tree Oil, take the diluted mixture you made for the diaper area and put it all over their body.
Tip# 5: Keep them Hydrated! I still breastfed so I feel like that was a huge part in her healing but if you don’t. Continue to give them lots of water.
Tip# 6: Give them a probiotic. If they already take a probiotic, increase the dosage, if you don’t give a probiotic I cannot encourage you enough to start. You can message me, if you would like advice on the best one for your little one.
Tip# 7: Give Elderberry Syrup daily. If you haven’t heard of it before, you HAVE to keep this in stock at home. Its an amazing immune booster and helps almost instantly. In addition it helps with immflamuation and pain as well.
Tip # 8: Load them up on Vitamin D – Another immune booster. I gave our daughter 2ml a day of pure COD Liver Oil.
Tip# 9: They most likely will not be hungry due to the sores being in their mouth as well as the fever making them feel icky. But, that is where this holy grail comes in. Make sure you always have on hand Bone Broth, it is a serious miracle working for the immune system and helps with dehydration. Its packed full of so many good nutrients.
Tip# 10: Lots and Lots and Lots of REST. This is so important! If that means the only way they rest is if you rock them and hold them all day, then Momma, be strong and do it.
I hope these tips help you in this battle of this! My prayer is that it works just as fast on your little ones as it did mine. If you have any questions please comment or email me direct I will be more than willing to help!